Here at The Pet Doctors our aim is to help your pet live a life that is as long and comfortable as possible.
With this in mind, we’ve crafted a special offering for our very special ‘senior’ patients.
Pets age much more quickly than we do, reaching middle age at 6 – 8 years of age and becoming geriatric around 9 – 12. While slowing down and other common symptoms are often accepted as ‘normal’ for the aged, these vague symptoms can also be the first indications of something far more complex going on under the surface.
To help us know the exact health status of your senior pet we recommend coming in for a comprehensive senior health check at least once a year. Each year might seem quite frequent, but when you remember that 1 year in a pet’s life is equivalent to 7 years of our life, we think that you’ll understand why we suggest regular check ups. These visits enable us to examine important parameters such as the health of internal organ systems, mobility and any associated pain or discomfort. Of course, these checks also enable us to detect disease processes such as cancer or kidney disease far earlier than if we had waited for the appearance of more severe symptoms – cats for example are masters in hiding discomfort until the problems are very advanced.
There is so much we can do to assist your pet in their senior years if we just have the information! Many times, stiff or confused oldies can see a massive increase in quality of life once treatment has been instituted.
During your pet’s ‘Senior Health Check’ your vet and vet nurse will work with you to ensure we have a complete picture of your pet’s health. The package includes:
- Pre-consult mobility questionnaire to assist us in painting a complete picture of your pet’s current quality of life.
- 20 minute consultation with one of our very experienced vet nurses, including a full examination and mobility assessment.
- In-house examination by a veterinary surgeon.
- Blood testing: Haematology
- Blood testing: Biochemistry including checking for diabetes and hyperthyroidism
- Blood testing: Electrolytes
- Urine testing
- Diagnostic blood pressure monitoring
- Your pet will receive a Senior Report Card, outlining their health status and clearly explaining any recommendations or findings.
To take advantage of this special offer simply phone us on (09) 478 4349 to book an appointment or if you prefer you can email us on email@example.com and one of our friendly nurses will be in touch.